Ammouliani is the only inhabited island in central Macedonia with a permanent population (600 inhabitants). It is located in the bay of Mount Athos.
The island’s distance from Thessaloniki is 130 km. It is connected by ferry to the opposite coast of Trypiti (Ammouliani – Trypiti distance is 2 nautical miles). The ferry routes are at regular intervals throughout the day.
It has an area of 4.5 sq. kilometers. There are hills and small valleys on the surface of the island that alternate and is completely covered by olive trees and low vegetation.
People don’t cultivate the land and as a result the ecosystem remains untouched.
The coasts alternate forming bays with wonderful sandy beaches.
The weather doesn’t change throughout the year and the wind currents during summer aren’t particularly strong. The inhabitants are mainly engaged in fishing and tourism.
Until 1925, the island was part of the Vatopedi Monastery of Mount Athos. At that time, 2-3 monks used to live on the island, managed the property and had 20 workers as assistants. They were responsible for cultivating the land, grazing animals and olive fruit harvesting. At the beginning of 1925, the island was granted to refugees from Asia Minor, specifically from the Propontis Islands (Gallimi – Pasalimani – Skupia).
Coming from areas that were neighboring Constantinople, they brought with them their culture, manners and customs. Being masters of the sea, they mainly engaged in fishing and managed in a few years to excel in this field.