Kavala Imaret is prominently located within the walls of its old city, on the Panagia peninsula. Its size is 4,200 sq.m. Its length is about 120 meters. The monument is a masterpiece of late Ottoman architecture and a rare example in Europe.
The founder is Mehmet Ali. After getting permission from the Sultan, he ordered the construction of the institution, to offer it as his gift to his hometown in 1813.
The Imaret was a key element in the plans of all Ottoman cities, giving them a distinct character. Until recently, they dominated in cities of the East and the Balkans. It provided public services and market areas to the inhabitants, and it played a significant role in the development of the city. In the past, Imarets were established with the prospect of creating a new city or a new neighborhood in an uninhabited area. They were the center of the settlement, since residential complexes were developed around them. The construction began around 1813 and was almost completed in 1823. Some additions were made until 1864 (such as the command post).
The Imaret consisted of 2 madrasahs, a mekteb (Quranic primary school), a kitchen, a mesjid (teaching area), a water tank and taps for washing, a hammam for the teachers, the command post, a library with 2,600 books, a printing place, as well as the 60 rooms for the students, that are now used by the monument – hotel Imaret.
In 1954, it was recognized by the Greek Government as an Egyptian wakf, but without any noticeable change. In 2001, the restoration began under the private company Missirian SA, and since June 2004 it has been operating as a monument-hotel that includes a research center (MOHA Research Center) that promotes intercultural understanding and communication through the research of Islam and the cultures of the wider Mediterranean.