On the road to Agios Ioannis suburb, eastern of the city of Serres, is the Saint George Kryoneritis Church. The first time the Church was mentioned was in 1298, in a gold bullion of Andronikos II and the second in 1344, where it became a share of the Holy Monastery of Saint John the Forerunner at Serres, because the wife of the lord Sakellarios Murmouras of Serres, Ypomoni (Patience), donated it to the Holy Monastery of Saint John the Forerunner. As a glebe, the church is also mentioned in 1345 in a gold bullion of Stefanos, King of Serbia.
Its nickname “Kryoneritis” came from the source of cold water that used to exist there. The temple suffered many damages from the Turks in 1572, when the dome collapted. It was replaced by a hemispherical roof, probably during the 1864 repairs. The monydrio consists of two continuing temples dedicated to Agios Dimitrios and Agios Georgios. Of particular importance and archaeological value are the two images that adorn the iconostasis.
It is about Panagia Brefokratoussa with the nickname “Pantanassa” which dates back to 1694 and the icon representing Christ Pantokrator with the inscription “Deisis tou doulo tou theoy Akakios Monachos”.