The White Tower was built in the fifteenth century after the fall of Thessaloniki to the Ottomans in 1430. At its location there had been an older tower belonging to Thessaloniki’s Byzantine fortifications, where the eastern wall met the sea wall. The Tower was the eastern end of the sea wall; there was another at the western end, and a third in between.
The White Tower is housing the new permanent exhibition on Thessaloniki from the age of its founding in 316-15 B.C. to the present. The exhibition summarily presents aspects of the city’s history, which is distinguished by its long and unbroken historical presence.
The interior of the tower consists of 6 floors and the balcony. Today, the tower is used as an exhibition that features the history of the city and its people.
People with mobility problems can take a virtual tour of the different floors on the ground floor. The limited space and internal configuration of the monument, as well as the need to maintain stable air conditions, require the presence of a certain number of visitors, with a maximum of 70 people, and do not allow the operation of basic infrastructure, such as toilets, refreshment room, cloakroom and luggage storage.
The Museum of Byzantine Culture offers the possibility of an audio tour of the White Tower in 4 languages (English-German-Russian-Turkish) by scanning the corresponding QR Code that you will see posted at the entrance of the White Tower and at the entrance of each floor.