At the top of the peninsula of Panagia is the Acropolis of Kavala which was built, for the most part, in the first quarter of the 15th century. It succeeded the Byzantine Acropolis of Christoupolis (the former name of Kavala) which had been destroyed in 1391, incorporating its ruins into the construction. The successive reconstructions and interventions in its fortification by the Byzantines, the Venetians and the Ottomans are evident in this imposing building.
The entire Acropolis is built of rough granite stones, mixed with pieces of brick and marble. Entering through its central entrance, we see that it is divided into the inner and outer enclosure by a transverse wall. The inner enclosure was also the most important part of the Acropolis because it enclosed all the necessary areas for its defense.
Today, the central circular tower, which was the last place of defense, the ammunition and food warehouse, which was later turned into a prison, the guardhouse, which was a place suitable for officers or guards, and the water tank are preserved.
Two squares and a polygonal tower stand out on the walls of the outer enclosure of the Acropolis, while inside there is an open-air theater for cultural events and a kiosk for visitors.
Official Site: https://www.castle-kavala.gr/