The Valley of Agioi Anargyroi is the valley that surrounds the road leading to the Acropolis of Serres. The charm of this location is the lush vegetation, as well as the dense shade of the old plane trees around the stream that continuously flows through the valley.
The natural beauty of the landscape has been further utilized with the construction of an artificial lake, a swimming pool, an indoor gym, open basketball and tennis courts, as well as countless restaurants and clubs, .that offer moments of real enjoyment to visitors.
A stream flows through the Valley of Agioi Anargyroi, whose basin extends into the Lailia massif. The mountainous part of the stream extends North of the bridge of Tselios, between the two roads Serres-Lailias and Serres-Vrontou. In the past, the waters of the river were much higher than today. To protect our city from floods, an embankment was constructed and a further wall in the direction of the river.
Today, the water has dwindled to the point that during summer, the stream is completely dry.
The width of the valley ranges from 1000 meters till Chrysopigi village, and ends up at the peaks of Lailia. Its lower part is Elaionas village and the city of Serres, and its highest part is Ano Orini. Its altitude is between 64 m. (city of Serres) and 1849 m. (peak of Ali-Baba in Lailia).
In 1978, the upgrading of the valley of Agioi Anargyri began. At the same time, the development of private initiative is observed with the creation of many private shops, leisure centers and cafés. On the other hand, the Municipality creates the summer cinema, the car parking lots and forms the areas at the bottom of the valley. This is where we see the way the current image of this area is slowly being created.
The valley has an area of 110 acres and is the most organized area of this type in the Municipality.
According to research carried out by the Department of Forestry of the Natural Environment of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, the vast majority of the citizens of the Municipality of Serres (90.6 %), in response to the question: “what are the urban green areas “, gave the Valley of Agioi Anargyri as an answer. In the valley is the Church of Agioi Anargyri, which was built in 1817. This church was destroyed by fire and rebuilt. The Christian art, that is decorating the church, was completed in 1867 with the various parts of it painted directly on the walls. In 1913 the church was saved from destruction.
In the valley are operating: A) several sports facilities, such as the national swimming pool, the indoor gym, the tennis court, the basketball courts, the volleyball courts and a soccer field for small children, B) several nightclubs, C) the Municipality’s cafeteria, and D) summer cinema.
Also, in the valley there are benches, for visitors to sit and enjoy the natural beauty of the area, beautiful wooden bridges, and large wooden tables for picnics.